Thursday, June 11, 2009

Which Ewe Am I?

As it turns out, I'm Shropshire! "As the oldest pedigree breed, Shropshires can claim elegance, manners and grace as their inheritance. Like other down and down-type wools, Shropshires stick together and are always sure to make new friends feel welcome." Ah shucks!

You can take the Which Ewe Are Ewe? quiz too at the publisher of Clara Parks' new book, The Knitter's Book of Wool, in which Clara looks at the different sheep breeds from a knitter's point of view. As a spinner who prefers to work from the raw fleece, I really enjoy getting to know not just different breeds but also individual sheep. I have purchased the same sheep's fleece multiple times. So whether it's Carl (handsome grey Romney weather) or Abby (sweet, soft white Finn) or Faye (a lovely Jacob in brown and white), I think of the sheep fondly who gave me their fleece. Thanks, and grow some more!

No comments: