Monday, June 1, 2009

Dancing in Saxapaha

Just back from a delightful weekend of dance in the NC Triangle area. My friend Stephen built a house a few years ago with a large living room that is great for house concerts and small dance parties. He even had a sprung wooden dance floor installed. This weekend he hosted a small contra dance weekend for about 40 people. Notorious (Eden McAdam-Somer and Larry Unger) played and Nils Fridland called and played trombone. I had so much fun dancing and visiting with old friends and new.

Nils called a lot of squares, including a set of singing squares that he has been collecting and learning (and getting ready to publish with Ralph Sweet). There was an open mike session with Skylark, so I called a few too. Notorious was great as always and sat in with Skylark. At one point we had a six piece band including twin fiddles, piano, guitar, bodran and the trombone. Not bad for an intimate dance setting.

Great weather for the event with a sunny Saturday, cool evening and a bit of rain on Sunday morning to freshen every thing up nicely. I camped out on my truck which I had not done in some time. I spent time with some people who I had not seen since I moved away from the Piedmont. Other folks I have kept in touch with throughout that time - My English dance friends & people who travel up this way.

I kept my knitting simple, working on the 2nd sleeve of the Spicy Cardi - Got about 3 inches done. The kitting up I did last weekend is really paying off! I have knit about 4 hats with plenty more to come. I also dyed up a good bit of 'orphan' yarn in shades that should go nicely with the mohairs that didn't have good companions.

I have been dyeing sock yarns again, in my subtle shades line.So far I have taken most of them to Asheville HomeCrafts. They move nicely there. Today, I need to get my Phat Fiber box shipped to PF Central.

Photos removed due to copyright restrictions of the photographer.

No comments: