Saturday, March 28, 2020

I'm a lucky woman

As part of my sanity program, I've been taking walks every day.  I go out in the morning for about an hour.  I've figured out a couple different loops that fit the criteria:  pretty flowers, some hills, not too many people, which is why I go out in the morning.  By 3 pm, people are getting a bit stir crazy.  Since it's been warm in the afternoon already, morning is my time.  There are a few dog walkers, some solitary runners and walkers, very few others.

It is Saturday, not that it makes much difference to me, but for those working and educating at home it's a day off.  I came across 2 families.  The first was 2 parents and 2 boys in the 9-11 range, on bikes. The boys were the kind of manic that is well suited to that age group.  The other family was 2 your parents with 2 small girls - may 1 & 3.  The girls were kind of weepy - not inconsolable crying, just clearly unhappy without the emotional maturity that (hopefully) comes later.  I chatted with the mom for just a minute - confirming that her job is hard right now, but my heart went out to her and her family. 

It again gave me a feeling of gratitude.  I am healthy, happy and even in lockdown I have some control over my life. 

Since we are in fact in 'Stay home; Stay Healthy' mode, It's been a good week in the garden and the studio.  I'm enlarging one of the garden beds and setting up a worm composting bin.  I'm also starting some plants from cuttings:  buddliea and lavender.  As I as in the back of the yard getting compost, sand and other amendments, I noticed some hostas coming up.  I planted these when I first moved to this house nearly 20 years ago,  but have't paid them much attention so they've gotten over run with vines.  I cleared out a space, and sure enough there were 2 - each about a foot across.  Nice surprise.

One of the most engaging project this week was the strap for one of my ukuleles.  2 ukes + 1 strap = 1 problem.  I thought of weaving one, then I remembered that I had a couple of bands woven on backstrap looms.  I cannot recall their origin, but why not press one into service?  So totally made from materials on hand (the strap, leather, belt hardware), and my 1949 Singer Featherweight sewing machine, I now have a strap that allows me to play either uke much more easily.  More funky than elegant, but hey, it's ukulele!

I am nearly finished with the red sweater - I just need to kitchener the  armpits.  I am very pleased.  It is exactly the 'farm sweater' I intended.  I'm also about 1/2 way through my THIRD scarf on the cricket loom.  I'm not a great weaver, but it has just the right amount of creativity and mindless physicality that I need right now.  I've left it set up in the basement.  So I can just pick up where I left off.  Audio books and weaving are the bomb!

With finishing the red sweater, I'm deciding on my next project.  I could knit a few hats and maybe a pair of socks while I decide.  There are some interesting sweater patterns popping up on Ravelry of late.

As for now, it's time to see what item is next on the list.  I think the chores so far today weren't actually on the list.  How does that happen!?!






No comments: