Sunday, March 22, 2020

A week in: Weaving, Playing music, Cleaning house!

A week of distance socializing.  I like that term a little better than social distancing.

Today was a grey and a little chilly, but I still took my walk.  Fewer people today, probably because it was not the drop dead gorgeous weather that we've been experiencing.  It was...seasonal.  I had to wear a sweater in March.  Still lovely though - birds, flowers, nature waking up.

The seeds I planted 10 days ago are sprouting - lettuce, kale, chard. I have finished the 'fine tuning' of the mulching project, so the remainder of the dump truck load of chips can just go to a big pile in the back of the yard.  My goal is an hour a day, but I might be to finish up in a session or two, if the rain holds off.  Yesterday's treat:  I discovered a single trillum in the southwestern corner, while I was trimming back some overgrown vines.  


Actual Fiber Content:  On Thursday I warped my rigid heddle loom - a 15" Cricket  - and wove a lovely scarf over the next few days.  I enjoyed the process and I think I like the product as well. It's in shades of autumn - brown and orange.  I think I'll put it on Ravelry.  We need more weaving projects.

I continue to play music, though not every day.  Yesterday I played and sang a number of songs, mostly on ukulele, a few on the banjo-uke, only one on guitar.  I only stopped playing to listen to a friend's online concert on Facebook live.  

Tonight's dinner - Homemade pizza  - the dough is finishing its second proof, in the cast iron skillet.  It is so good!  The biggest problem that I have face so far with this recipe: not eating the whole pizza in one sitting. It's all in keeping in solidarity with Italy!

On the Covid19 front, I learned today that an ECD friend in Florida is in the hospital, but is getting better.  My heart goes out to him, his partner and the rest of his family.  He spends a lit of time with his grandson.  A little cutie to be sure!

Wait, more fiber content!  For the last month or so, I've been knitting what I call, the farm sweater.  It's a dark red, recycled yarn, rather rustic in nature.  I am knitting a very simple yoke pullover to be an everyday, throw-on-over-everything, very warm sweater.  I have a navy blue Woolrich sweater that I bought more that 20 years ago that has suited me well.  I took the measurements, and started knitting.  Of course, I have to knit it twice.  The first draft was WAY TOO BIG!  Minor adjustments to the sleeves, but I needed to start the body over. I should get to the first decrease this evening.  Since I never wore the first sweater I knit with this yarn, I was due for recycling.

What I've been watching:  Self-Made, a Netflix mini-series starring Octavia Spencer about  Madame C.J. Walker, the African American hair care entrepreneur.  Binged the whole series the day it was released!  Hey, I was knitting!  and hunkered down.

No comments: