Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Alpaca Phat Hat


My online friend Maple, aka North Star Alpacas, has gotten delightfully creative with my Phat Hat Pattern, first published free on this blog.  Maple is a retired teacher who lives in Michigan where she raises these beautiful animals who supply her with fiber, keeping her, her family and her customers in yarn, hats, scarves and so on.  Maple like to use my patterns like basic recipes - that's the way I like to use them too.

Here is what Maple says in the writeup about this playful hat:  'You will love the way this hat fits. If you choose to wear it for warmth, it pulls down comfortably to cover your ears, or you can roll the brim and just perch it on your head for a fashion statement.

'The tan, brown, and gray yarns are from naturally colored alpaca, and the bands of color were white that I hand dyed. All yarns are from my own alpacas that I handspun. I carried a tiny little thread of handspun mohair along while I was knitting for added warmth and a soft halo.' Pretty!  I like the way that Maple's listings show the animal that grew the fleece that ends up in the hat.

This pattern was developed to use small amounts of yarn, like those that we receive or spin from the Phat Fiber sampler boxes to which Maple and I both contribute.  Knit your own & add them to Ravelry, if you are a member. The pattern link is always on the right hand column of this blog.

1 comment:

Alpaca Granny said...

Thanks for the delightful write up, AnneMarie.....and thanks for this pattern that has become the basis for many, many alpaca hats.